Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Response to Susan Sontag's 'On Photography'

  Susan Sontag's article focused mainly on the significance of photographs and their importance within society. She says the photographs shape our views of the world. She talks about the time before photography and reminds us how revolutionary its presence has been within our world. Without photography we would not be able to experience far of places and people. Photography has extended our visual vocabulary and by extension our world view. She describes the photographs of the world as "an anthology of images." By perusing this anthology we can learn a great deal about things we would otherwise never know.

Before reading this article, I had never really given much thought to how much photographs have changed my life and the way I experience my world. It is hard for me to imagine a world without photography, especially now where images are integrated with everything I come in contact with. Now, I don't only better appreciate their importance but I understand the powerful impact they can make upon those who view them. Although these ideas may not relate directly to the project at hand, I now see it is important to develop an understanding and appreciation for this integral part of the modern life. Sontag says that photographs are evidence of certain realities. The truth associated with photographs can be used to our advantage when creating this project. Because of the fact that we are dealing with multiple photographs that document different perspectives and different times we are able to tamper with this reality when we combine these different images. Creating illusions from something that promises reality can create a powerful effect if done correctly. Perhaps something to keep in mind as I work on my own collage...

No comments:

Post a Comment