Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cardboard Chair Process

Our second project this semester was to build a cardboard chair that illustrates the idea of duality in a particular relationship. My chair was about a complex relationship with a long history and a sturdy, deeply rooted foundation. I also included both geometric and curving shapes that allude to the nature of the relationship. The structural geometric shapes represent the strong foundation of friendship that this relationship is based upon. The curving shapes of the chair both contrast and compliment the geometric ones and represent the romantic part of this relationship.


The first part of the project was to build a chair from a 4x4 sheet of cardboard without using any adhesives or removing any cardboard. I started the process by creating models from bristol board.





After model making I continued to build the box chair.




This chair was a good experiment because it helped me grasp the structural principles of working with cardboard as well as the cutting techniques that would become useful later on in the process.

Next I began sketching and designing my final "duality" chair. 



                     








More model building...







Construction begins...









No comments:

Post a Comment