Monday, January 23, 2012

John Szarkowski’s ‘The Photographer’s Eye’


                I thought this article had some very insightful points concerning photography. I have never been particularly interested by photography. After reading this article I hold a higher appreciation for the media.
 Szarkowski mentioned that those who preferred the more traditional artistic conventions and standards often had trouble appreciating photography. I can relate to that point. I prefer artistic expression that involves creation of new ideas and images. Photographers approach art is a very different manner. They capture reality and are both limited and blessed by the concrete nature of their subjects.
                The end of this article really made me realize how truly revolutionary photography was as a new media. The impact of capturing a candid expression or a momentary action is truly an amazing feat but in or fast paced digital world this ability is so quickly overlooked and undervalued.  It amazes me how much photography has changed our culture and the way we see our world. Although I may never truly embrace photography, I can at least say that I have a deeper understanding for the media and those who practice it.

No comments:

Post a Comment